Frequently Asked Questions
Blinder is a remote interview platform that easily brings people into conversation, captures great content and helps teams collaborate. The system is used by content producers, PR managers, broadcasters and talent managers behind leading media, sports and entertainment brands. Our clients include the likes of SKY Sport, The FA, US Women’s Soccer and Warner Music, along with teams from the NCAA to the NFL. We help them all to tell better stories, faster, from anywhere.
Blinder emerged from pro sport in New Zealand. One of our founders (Caley Wilson) ran communications for New Zealand Rugby League and thought that remotely connecting the media and athletes could be done a whole lot easier.
In our part of the world, ‘having a Blinder’ is slang for a great sporting performance. So, the name ‘Blinder’ acknowledges our sporting roots, while also highlighting that calls through our system can be done blindly (without any personal contact details being exchanged).
If you’re booking an audio or HD video call, you use our secure online communications dashboard. Call details and reminders are then automatically sent by text and email to your call participants. At the agreed time, the parties just click a link (video call) or receive or place a phone call (audio call).
No. Nobody does. Blinder video calls connect through web browsers with call participants just clicking a link in a text or email. Blinder audio calls are placed or received over regular phone lines. Those booking calls do so through our online communications dashboard.
Here's an easy 1-2-3 user guide if this is your first call with Blinder.
- No one needs any new software (so everyone you work with is set to use Blinder right now).
- You capture HD video recordings to a cloud-based team dashboard (so with good connectivity, lighting and devices you’ll get a great result)
- Accounts can be jointly-managed (to streamline your team’s workflow and increase collaboration between your production and editing departments)
- No personal contact details are exchanged between the parties on calls (so it’s easy to respect everyone’s privacy and time)
- Have a strong internet connection.
- Light you face properly (not your backside.)
- Keep your camera steady.
- Frame yourself so that your camera is parallel with your eyes and the floor.
We've provided more details on how to accomplish all these in our blog.
- Reporters/presenters and talent can do interviews from their homes (or the studio) through their own laptops or mobile phones
- Audio and HD video content from these interviews can be broadcast live or recorded to your cloud-based team dashboard
- Production and editing teams can have immediate and remote access to the content captured by their colleagues, and
- Everyone can get started easily from wherever they are (no one needs any new software – and talent just click a link in a text or email to join a call)
Very. Blinder is a great way to jump into video creation without adding any new hardware and software. Simply use Blinder in place of your local recordings and you're set.
No way. Blinder is used by people from all walks of life who want to bring people into conversation easily, capture great content, and save time and hassles.
Blinder is mostly used for one-on-one calls, but you can have anywhere between one and four parties on a Blinder call at any particular moment. This allows you to film pieces to camera by yourself, which are recorded to your cloud-based team dashboard, or facilitate group discussions and capture isolated recordings of each party. Using our ‘greenroom’ feature, you can also rotate guests. So, for instance, you could have call with a host, a producer, and a rotating cast of guests (to a maximum of four parties at any one time).
By automatically sending out call details and reminders to all parties, keeping a record of everything, providing call audio (for social content, media training and addressing misquotes), freeing-up every handset in a squad without privacy concerns, and ensuring calls happen when they should. Don’t just take our word for it, though (click here).
Yes. For those making and receiving calls, Blinder works just like a regular phone call. So, PR managers schedule calls using an online dashboard, then callers can make these calls from a mobile or landline, and your ‘talent’ can receive these calls on a mobile or landline. All calls are done on a recognised team number, assigned to your Blinder account.
Like any data stream that goes through the web, you're limited by the strength of your signal. However, Blinder is optimized to provide the best possible content quality. The better your camera and microphone, the better you'll look and sound on a Blinder call and recording. We record each party server-side in HD video and VOIP quality audio. That means that your recorded content will often look and sound better than the live versions.
We provide raw files and compiled MP4s and MP3 of both the independent participants and the full room.
Yes. With Blinder, the likes of producers or publicists can easily be part of any audio or video calls.
Blinder calls happen at defined times only, without any contact details being exchanged and with a record kept of everything. You can also schedule multiple simultaneous calls for your team – or instantly start calls whenever things need to happen ‘now’.
Auckland | Las Vegas | London
Clearpoint House, 7 Fanshawe St, Auckland, 1010, New Zealand
P: +64 9 888 9222
© 2019 Blinder Ltd. All rights reserved.